Sheep and cattle were, however, pastured on the open fields, common meadows and lammas lands of the parish from the 17th century until the inclosure of 1842.

Virtually all the commons were stinted by the mid-17th century, though the Range (60 a.) in Shepperton manor was only stinted from May to June. The grazing rights on the Range were called farrens or half-acre rights. The lessee and tenants of Halliford manor also had sheep-grazing rights for three days a week on Sunbury Common.

Very little is known of the life of the parish after the period covered by the medieval manorial accounts. The village did not share in the 18th-century fashion and prosperity of the river-side villages downstream, and in 1816 the houses were said to be 'chiefly of a mean and neglected character'. The village was then much frequented in the summer by parties of anglers.

In 1867 W. S. Lindsay, the lord of the manor, wrote that in the early 19th century most of the inhabitants had lived in 'a state of great ignorance and depravity', with 'somewhat limited' means of employment. A farmhouse in Shepperton was burned down in 1833 during agrarian disturbances nearby in Surrey. Lindsay himself replaced a number of the 'very wretched' one- and two-roomed cottages which he found in the village.

In 1843, just after the inclosure of the open fields and meadows, there were 800 acres of arable in the parish, 372 of meadow, 45 of oziers, and 125 acres still as commonland. The inclosure of the commons in 1862 was suggested by Sir Patrick Colquhoun, a diplomat and writer who lived at Shepperton Creek House and objected to the gipsies and butchers who made use of the common nearby. The commons within Halliford manor in the parish remained open, but there were no general grazing rights there and when the Walton urban district council bought the Cowey farren rights in 1956 the last pasture rights in the parish were virtually extinguished.

Wheat,
barley, peas, and root crops were said to be the chief crops in the later 19th century. Orchards and nursery-gardens were then beginning to appear in the parish. The orchards never became as large or numerous as those farther east and north, but marketgardens and nurseries have increased much in this century. In 1947 there were 223 acres of commercial horticultural land in the parish, divided between eight holdings. Some of this land has since been taken for housing, but market-gardening remains important.

In the 18th and early 19th centuries there were malthouses at Shepperton and Lower Halliford. As many as four are recorded in 1767. A tanyard existed in 1742 and there was one in the mid-19th century near the south end of the present High Street. Some inhabitants engaged in the barge traffic. This traffic may have given rise to the ropery which was in existence at Lower Halliford in 1767 and was still there in the 1860's. The brick-earth was worked around Lower Halliford in the 1860's and 1870's and near Shepperton Station in 1920.

Gravel digging on a large scale started near Sheepwalk Lane between the two world wars; it continues but owing to mechanization employs few people. Since 1919 a small industrial area has grown up between Govett Avenue and the railway. FerroConcrete (Shepperton) Ltd. started in 1919 with about five employees. About a hundred people are now employed at the works. Winston Electronics Ltd. moved here from Hampton Hill in 1955, when it had about 85 employees. By 1958 there were twice as many, some of them living in Feltham and Sunbury.

Another concern manufactures horticultural equipment. Since at least 1936 there has been a boat-building yard by Walton Bridge. It was taken over by R. E. Odell Ltd. in 1945. Since then various craft have been constructed, including the London water buses which operated from 1948 to 1952. The works employed 40 persons in 1958. Shepperton Film Studios at Littleton provide further employment, and many people from Shepperton parish work in Feltham, Sunbury Common, Hampton and nearby places in Surrey. Comparatively few seem to work in London.