Lysons speaks of some 'vestiges of building', said to be the remains of the manor-house of the Reynells, which lay to the east of the present house.

Other evidence shows that the 17th-century lords of the manor lived in Shepperton for at least part of the time. By 1723 the manor-house probably occupied the site of the present building, which was erected about 1830 by James Scott. W. S. Lindsay usually lived at the manor-house and died at Shepperton. He was a ship-owner and member of Parliament and wrote a history of merchant shipping as well as one of Shepperton. He was largely responsible for the construction of the Thames Valley Railway.

The manorial demesne contained 100 or more acres of arable in the 14th century and a good deal of meadow and pasture. There is no reliable information about its extent thereafter before 1843, when the estate belonging to the lord of the manor amounted to some 380 acres. This included the Manor Farm in Chertsey Road with which the bulk of the property was leased. By 1867 the estate comprised about 600 acres, but some of this has since been sold.

The manor of HALLIFORD formed a strip reaching northwards from the river to Sunbury Common. It thus included not only the eastern half of Shepperton parish but also a strip of Sunbury parish, with the smaller manor of Charlton (in Sunbury parish) separating the north ends of it from Shepperton manor. A few detached pieces of land on Hamhaugh Island also belonged to Halliford.

Halliford is not mentioned by name in Domesday Book. In charters forged about 1100 it is mentioned as one of the appurtenances or berewicks of Staines manor which was granted to Westminster Abbey about 1065. It was presumably one or part of one of the four unnamed berewicks of Staines mentioned in Domesday Book. The boundaries of Sunbury manor were described in a charter of 962 and it is possible that they then followed their later course so that Halliford was excluded. This is made the more likely by the statement in the charter that Sunbury had 10 yard-lands of meadow at Halliford, which suggests that the rest of Halliford was independent.

Halliford evidently became detached from Staines soon after 1086, since between 1121 and c. 1150 the abbey leased it along with Shepperton. Shepperton had passed into other hands by 1208, but Halliford seems to have remained with the descendants of the abbey's lessee, Robert Creuker, for in 1265 it was found that Halliford had been seized first by Maurice Berkeley and then by the Earl of Gloucester on the grounds that Robert Creuker was a rebel. Robert apparently regained the manor for he or another Robert Creuker conveyed it to Geoffrey Aspale in 1279. Seven years later Geoffrey granted
the manor to his overlord, Westminster Abbey, who granted it back to him for life. Thereafter the abbey retained Halliford until the Dissolution. The manor was leased from 1303 until 1320 to Nicholas of Halliford, who was described as lord in 1303. It was leased again intermittently during the 14th century and constantly after 1404.

In 1540 Henry VIII included Halliford in his new honor of Hampton Court. It later belonged to Queen Henrietta Maria and in 1650, as Crown property, it was sold by Parliament to William Westbrooke, who already held it on lease. Eight years later it passed from James Westbrooke to Richard Hill. At the Restoration the queen dowager regained the manor and it later became part of Queen Catherine of Braganza's dower. Matthew Johnson obtained a lease of the manor in 1680 and until about 1754 the leases were held by his family. Lessees of different families followed until 1832, when the manor and lands were sold. Thomas Nettleship bought the manorial rights and 33 acres, while Thomas Carr bought 110 acres, including the manor-house and Watersplash Farm.

By 1845 R. W. Lumley (d. 1852) held the manorial rights. They were later held by his widow Susan (d. 1888) and Louisa Lumley. Between 1886 and 1890 they passed to Susan Lumley's nephew Sir Archibald Campbell, Bt., later Lord Blythswood (d. 1908). In 1914 his widow owned them and they remained in the family until 1922, when they were sold with land for building. It has not been possible to trace the lords of the manor after this. Their title had for many years been an empty one since there were no copyholders by 1739, and the courts had then been long disused.

In 1290 the manorial buildings included a hall, a private room, a servants' room, and a pantry. The hall was rebuilt in 1375-6. In 1650 the manorhouse was built of timber and 'Flemish wall' and consisted of a hall, kitchen, buttery, six rooms upstairs, and various ancillary buildings. There is no reason to suppose that this house stood elsewhere than on the site of the house now called the Old Manor House. This is at the east end of Lower Halliford Green and is a fairly small early-18thcentury house of two stories and attics with a stuccofront.

It has been altered and enlarged at several dates. After the manorial rights and house had been separated a house which had earlier been called Dunally and which stood on the land belonging to the owner of the rights was known as the manorhouse. It was later once more called Dunally. There is no evidence that the house called Halliford Manor at Upper Halliford is to be connected with this manor or with any other.

The demesne lands, which seem to have all lain within Shepperton parish, included between 110 and 140 acres of arable in the 14th century. The whole estate was estimated at varying amounts between about 140 and 180 acres from the 17th century until it was split into two in 1832. In 1843 the former demesne was said to cover 138 acres, all in Shepperton.