The manor of SHEPPERTON occupied the part of the parish which lies west of a line running just east of Charlton Road and the High Street and continuing down the small stream to the Thames at Lower Halliford.

Charters forged at Westminster Abbey about 1100 allege that St. Dunstan bought Shepperton from a widow named Æthelflæd and gave it to the abbey. There may be some truth in this, for Shepperton is associated in the charters more with Sunbury, which Dunstan very probably did give to the abbey, than with the neighbouring manor of Halliford, which, as a berewick of Staines, was granted to the abbey by Edward the Confessor. A writ from the Confessor, however, which is thought to be founded on an authentic original, granted Shepperton to Westminster between 1051 and 1066.

A little later a definitely authentic writ notified the abbey that the king had granted land at Shepperton to his 'churchwright' Teinfrith. This grant may have been only for life or may not have taken effect. In any case the abbey held Shepperton both in 1066 and 1086. They later granted it to an undertenant but retained the overlordship until the Dissolution.

Between 1121 and c. 1150 the abbey leased Shepperton and Halliford together and the name of the lessee, presumably at about this time, was later said to have been Robert Creuker. By 1208 the two manors had evidently been separated, for the king granted the custody of Shepperton with that of its owner Robert Beauchamp, who was a minor, to Hubert de Burgh. In or before 1284 John Beauchamp died holding the manor. He was succeeded in turn by his son, grandson, and great grandson, each of whom was called John.

Before his death in 1361, the fourth John settled Shepperton for life upon his wife Alice (d. 1384), daughter of Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick. By 1373 she had apparently enfeoffed her late husband's two coheirs, Cecily Beauchamp, his niece, and John Meriet, his great-nephew, and William Beauchamp, who may have been a member of her own family. John Meriet quitclaimed his third of the manor to William in 1373. Within a few years, however, Shepperton had
passed to Sir Matthew Gurney, who had married Alice, widow of the last John Beauchamp, and to whom John had granted £1,000 a year from his estates. After Matthew's death his second wife, Philippa, married Sir John Tiptoft.

He and Philippa were described as joint owners for life in 1408, and on Tiptoft's death in 1442 or 1443 Shepperton passed to his son and heir John, later Earl of Worcester, who was beheaded for treason in 1470. Worcester's estates were restored to his son Edward (d.s.p. 1485) in the following year. The manor then seems to have passed through Joyce, one of Edward's paternal aunts, who married Sir Edmund Sutton or Dudley. Their son, Lord Dudley, conveyed Shepperton to Bartholomew Reed (d. 1505) and others in 1490.

Reed left Shepperton to his wife Elizabeth for life with reversion to his nephew William (d. 1534). William was succeeded by his son John (d. 1545), who left a son John aged three. It was probably this last John who sold the manor in 1589 to James Huish of London (d. 1590). Huish's sons James and Thomas held it in equal shares until they granted it in 1611 to Sir George Reynell (d. 1628). In 1621 Reynell's nephew, Sir Thomas Reynell, married Katherine, daughter and heir of Sir Henry Spiller of Laleham (d. 1649).

Spiller was said to be lord of the manor in 1632, and is said to have conveyed it to his grandsons, Thomas and Henry Reynell, in 1648. Spiller probably, however, held Shepperton only as trustee for his daughter's marriage, for his son-in-law was described as lord of the manor in 1651 and at his death in 1665. Thomas Reynell the younger died in 1670 and his brother, who later became known as Henry Reynell Spiller, succeeded him. Henry died in 1715 and was succeeded by his son Brent Reynell Spiller (d. 1736). His widow and their son Henry sold the manor in 1741 to the trustees of Penelope Stratford, who was then a minor.

Penelope married Richard Geast, who later took the name of Dugdale. After his death she sold Shepperton in 1811 to Thomas Scott (d. 1816). The manor afterwards passed to his nephew James Scott (d. 1855). In 1856 it was purchased by W. S. Lindsay (d. 1878), who was succeeded by his grandson, W. H. Lindsay (d. 1949). In 1954 W. H. Lindsay's widow transferred the estate to her husband's nephew, Mr. P. A. R. Lindsay, who was the owner in 1958.