In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales  described Shepperton like this:

SHEPPERTON, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, at the terminus of the Thames Valley railway, 2 miles E of Chertsey; was known, at Domesday, as Scepertone; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Chertsey.

The parish contains also the hamlet of Lower Halliford, and comprises 1,541 acres. Real property, £6,132. Pop., 849. Houses, 188. The manor belonged, at Domesday,
to Westminster abbey; and passed to the Beauchamps and others. There are several fine villas. An oak canoe, 12 feet long, was found in 1812, near the river, 7 feet below the surface.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £590.* Patron, the Rev. J.Govett. The church dates from 1310, is cruciform, and has a tower of about 1760. There are a mission chapel of 1867, and a national school. Grocyn, the friend of Erasmus, was rector.