Halliford and Shepperton were both among the members of Staines manor for which the Abbot of Westminster claimed exemption from the county courts from 1265 until at least 1293.

The abbey also held in them the view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and ale. The lord of Shepperton manor continued to claim view of frankpledge in the 17th century. In 1651 the Shepperton manor court appointed a constable, headborough, and aletaster. Two years later it appointed two surveyors of highways, a hogdriver, and two field wardens. The constable and surveyors may have been appointed for the entire parish. Halliford manor included Upper Halliford in Sunbury parish within its jurisdiction.

In 1299 and until the mid-14th century four courts, one of them with a view of frankpledge, were held annually for the manor. In the early 15th and early 16th centuries only two courts were held yearly, one of them with a view of frankpledge. In the 15th century Upper and Lower Halliford each constituted a separate tithing with its own constable. By 1739 there were no copyholders and no courts were held. In the 14th century Kempton manor had some jurisdiction over at least part of Halliford. In 1792 it was said that the lord of Sunbury manor claimed that Halliford was subordinate to his own manor.

In the early 19th century the vestry usually met once or twice a month and the rector was normally in the chair. Voting power was related to the amount of property held, so that in 1845 49 people had 81 votes, of which 41 belonged to 9 persons. With rare exceptions there were under a dozen people at the vestries and half or more were parish officers. By 1820 the officers appointed by the vestry included the constable and headborough, who continued to be appointed after the parish was included in the Metropolitan Police District in 1840.

From 1822 there was a salaried assistant overseer and from 1826 there were one or two poundsmen. Until the mid19th century the pound stood beside the remains of the parish cage and stocks near the south end of the High Street. The pound was then moved farther north, where it was still in existence in 1921. The vestry refused to demolish the cage and stocks, and so the lord of the manor had it done about 1860, since he considered them a nuisance. There was a parish fire-engine by 1819. The chief preoccupation of the vestry before 1836 was of course the administration
of the poor law.

In 1846 an inhabitant remembered an almshouse which used to stand on some parish land. This may have been the same as the almshouse mentioned in 1681 and 1744, but whether it stood on the parish land to the north of Walton Bridge Common which was sold in 1836 is not clear. In 1826 the parish gave up a house at Halliford of which it had been lessee and in 1833 a parish cottage next to the workhouse was repaired and let out: both these may have been used earlier as parish almshouses or poorhouses. From 1796, and possibly from 1776, there was also a regular workhouse.

This stood in 1834 in Watersplash Road and was held by the parish on lease. From 1796 and possibly before the vestry farmed out the workhouse, the master also acting as parish constable. In 1820 an extra payment was made to the master as typhus had reduced the earnings of the inmates and the need for nursing had increased his expenditure. The poor-rates rose from £155 in 1775-6 to £1,211 in 1819 and then dropped to just below £600 in 1829. In 1813-15 there were about 23 poor in the workhouse and about 38 regular outpensioners. In 1817 and later, employed labourers with three or more children sometimes received relief. The poor outside the workhouse were put to work in the parish gravel-pit or on the roads in 1819 and in later years. A little relief was given in bread in 1834. In 1836 the parish became part of the Staines union and the lease of the workhouse was disposed of in the following year.

The parish council which existed from 1895 until 1930, when the parish was absorbed by Sunbury urban district, met in the Shepperton church school. At first there were nine councillors who met seven times a year, but by the 1920's there was a monthly council meeting. In 1895 the council appointed one of its members to be unpaid clerk. Until 1929 its servants included a poundsman.

The parish property which the council took over included not only the pound and a farren right in Cowey for the poundsman, but a small piece of land in Ferry Lane and the allotments and recreation ground set out under the 1862 inclosure, which had been managed by the vestry. From about 1907 the council managed Lower Halliford Green and Walton Bridge Green. A lighting committee was formed in 1906 but the first lighting scheme, which came into force a year or two later, was supported by voluntary subscriptions. It lapsed in 1915, and in 1922 the council took over the 30 lamps.

By 1930 the Staines rural district council had built 110 houses in the parish. Others have since been provided by the Sunbury urban district council.