The Domesday survey lists 25 persons in Shepperton manor. About 1335 Shepperton was able to muster 32 men at a commission of array; Upper and Lower Halliford together mustered an additional 22 men.

In 1547 there were 133 'houseling' people in the parish. Sixty-six persons paid or were exempt from hearth tax in 1664, and there were said to be 100 families in the parish about 1723. The population gradually increased from 731 persons in 1801 to 858 in 1841, and then dropped a little until 1861. The increase to 1,126 in 1871 was attributed to the opening of the railway and of brickfields. By 1901 there were some 1,800 people in the parish, and by 1931 there were over 3,400. The slightly altered civil parish of 1951 contained over 6,000 people.

Domesday Book records 7 plough-lands in Shepperton manor, one of which was in demesne. There were then 17 villeins, 5 cottars, and 2 slaves on the manor. In 1336 and 1361 there were 100 acres of arable in demesne, which were apparently sown in a three-course rotation with a third lying fallow and in common each year. In both years 36 acres were sown with winter corn. In 1336 there was no pasture in severalty, but in 1343 and 1361 the lord had pasture in severalty as well as sharing the common and he also had meadows which lay in common part of the year.

The total number of tenants is not known but in 1343, when 4 virgates, each of 10 acres, were in the lord's hand, the villeins rendered ploughing and other services and the lord received 155 works at harvest. The rents of assize of free tenants seem to have risen from 56s. 5d. to £12 between 1336 and 1361, while the value of works dropped. In the extent of 1361 the only labour-services valued were harvest-works. They were worth 10s. a year, while all the customary works had been worth 60s. 7d. in 1336.

No Domesday statistics are available for Halliford, which was probably included in the totals for Staines. Westminster Abbey kept the manor in demesne for some years after it acquired it in 1286, but leased it from 1303 to 1320 and perhaps 1332, from some date after 1357 to 1375, from 1392 to 1397,
and from 1404 onwards. While the manor was in demesne it seems to have been used to produce barley and sometimes sheep, which were both sent to Westminster. A little wheat was also sent. In 1289 and 1293 barley, rye, and wheat were the chief crops, with a fair amount of oats in 1293.

In each case more barley was sown than any other single crop and this predominance became more marked during the 14th century, so that barley often accounted for between a half and two-thirds of the total area sown, which varied between 110 and 140 acres. Rye disappeared almost entirely, but wheat, peas, and sometimes oats remained as subsidiary crops. No regular rotation is discernible: fallow is seldom mentioned, barley was often grown in successive years in the same furlong, and two or more crops were sometimes grown in one furlong, so that there can have been little, if any, common pasture on the fields. In the 1290's and again in 1339-40 a mixed flock of about 90 sheep was kept.

From 1375 to 1402 there were usually between 100 and 200 sheep. There were 2 ploughs on the demesne. In 1214, before Westminster owned the manor, the tenants owed labour-services, but from 1289 the demesne was managed by the paid servants, with help at the hay and corn harvests from hired labour. Since the tenants' holdings were mostly of 15 acres or less they probably provided a good deal of this casual labour.

The Black Death seems to have had little immediate effect upon the cultivation of the demesne or the tenants' holdings: in the 1350's the amount of grain sent to Westminster was some two-thirds less than in 1340-7, but the total arable acreage did not decrease and rents remained steady from 1290 to 1357. No holdings are known to have fallen into the lord's hands except for one of 7 acres about 1383, which was let piecemeal.

Between 1633 and 1785, when the manorial estate at Halliford comprised about 150-80 acres, the amount used as arable seems to have declined from 138 acres to 104 acres. From 1785 the estate was divided between four lessees. Just before it was all sold in 1832 the chief of these grew wheat and barley as his principal crops. He did not practise any rotation. In 1619 some Halliford people claimed that they had been prevented from enjoyment of their right to pasture sheep on the demesne openfield land after the harvest.