In the 1820's coaches from Chertsey to London served Shepperton twice a day and there was a carrier to London three times a week. Largely owing to W. S. Lindsay, the owner of Shepperton manor, the single-line Thames Valley Railway (now part of the Southern Region) was opened in 1864.

Shepperton, the terminal station, was built at the junction of Charlton and Laleham Roads and there were at first eight trains each way daily. The branch was electrified in 1915 and there was a halfhourly service in 1957. Some building took place near the railway station and in what is now called the High Street during the 19th century. This included the five cottage-pairs called Highfield Cottages, which have twin gables with pierced barge-boards. They are probably among the cottages built by W. S. Lindsay to replace inferior dwellings which he found in the village.

Some more houses and Anglican and Primitive Methodist chapels were built at Shepperton Green, where there were also a Working Men's Institute and Library by 1894. In the 20th century the first new residential roads appeared. At Shepperton building centred on the station and along the part of Charlton Road from the station to Lord's Bridge, which was then known as Highfield Road and has since been named the High Street. In 1957 the High Street contained several rows of shops, the main post office, the parish hall, and the county library.

Roads with detached and semi-detached houses then covered most of the area between the High Street and Charlton Road on the west and Gaston Bridge on the east, and there were several factories near the station. Recent building north of Russell Road has virtually joined Lower Halliford to the newer district, though the old village round the church still remained distinct in 1959. Building was also going on in Chertsey Road beyond the village. Shepperton Green started to grow before the First World War and a council estate and other houses were built before the Second. There has been much building here since the Second World War, and more
was going on in 1959.

This district now centres upon Laleham Road, where there are some shops. In the south a camp was established on Hamhaugh Island about 1900 and since then buildings have appeared on the islands and along the river banks. This riverside area is in many ways more closely connected with Weybridge than with Shepperton. Since the 1930's large-scale gravel digging has produced large lakes around Sheepwalk Lane and in the east of the parish: one in the latter area was used in 1959 as a sailing school by a holiday club nearby. The remainder of the open land in the parish lies both east of Gaston Bridge Road and west of the old village. Much of it is used for market-gardening, and there are water-meadows south of the Chertsey Road.

No events of national importance have occurred in Shepperton if the probably legendary crossing of the Thames here by Julius Caesar is excluded. The British Lion Shepperton Film Studios lie just outside the parish in Littleton. Local tradition asserts that Erasmus visited William Grocyn, rector 1504-13, at Shepperton, and that Brian Duppa (1588-1662), Bishop of Winchester, lived there during the Interregnum. Neither of these stories is likely to be true since Grocyn himself probably did not reside in his living and Duppa is known to have been at Richmond.

Duppa, however, did endow an almshouse at Richmond with property at Shepperton. J. M. Neale (1818-66), the composer of many well-known hymns, pent part of his childhood at Shepperton and was taught by the rector. He afterwards wrote an historical novel entitled Shepperton Manor. For some 150 years the riverside strip, particularly at Lower Halliford, has attracted painters, writers, and others. J. M. W. Turner painted Walton Bridge. Thomas Love Peacock (1785-1866), the novelist, lived at Elmbank, Lower Halliford, for many years and was buried in Shepperton churchyard.

One of his daughters died as a child and is also buried here: Peacock composed the verses on her tombstone. George Meredith married another daughter and lived for three years at Vine Cottage, Lower Halliford. The village of 'Shepperton' in George Eliot's Scenes of Clerical Life is not taken from Shepperton in Middlesex but from Chilvers Coton (Warws.).