There were said to be no dissenters in the parish in 1766 and in 1810, though one Quaker was reported in 1778. In 1811 a meeting-place for Independents at Shepperton Green was registered.

The Methodist church in Sheepwalk Lane, Shepperton Green, was built in 1879 as a Primitive Methodist mission hall. It was enlarged and Sunday schools were added in 1910.

The little brick-built Roman Catholic church of St. John Fisher, Squires Road, was opened in 1945.

Schools

There was a schoolmaster in Shepperton in the 1580's. A school was being formed in 1738 and a schoolmaster was mentioned in the following year. A school at Shepperton became associated with the National Society in 1816, and in 1818 it had about 40 pupils. In 1832 this school took only girls and attendance was about 30. It was incorporated into a new National school which was established in 1833 in the present High Street and was said to have been erected upon glebeland.

There were 87 pupils, both boys and girls, in 1833. In 1853 Mrs. Susan Lumley endowed the school with £35 a year for the mistress's salary. A new building was erected in 1860 so that there were separate schools for boys and girls. Attendance was usually between 120 and 170 from 1886 to 1938. New buildings were erected in 1929 on land to the west of the High Street given by the lord of the manor.

The old buildings were sold and one of them has since been demolished. In 1957 an additional building, designed by E. J. Harman, was opened in Manor Farm Avenue. In 1957 the school was known as St. Nicholas Church of England School and had 390 pupils on the roll.

A temporary council school was opened in Sheepwalk Lane in 1904. The permanent school,
now Shepperton Green School, was opened on the same site in 1906, but the original iron building was still in use in 1957. The average attendance in 1907 was 200. Attendance dropped from 318 on the roll in 1955 to 261 in 1957, when the new Church of England school building had been opened.

There were two dame schools in the parish in 1833 and 1846 and since then there have usually been one or more private schools. In 1956 there was one all-age independent school, which was in Halliford.

Charities

Richard Buckland left £1 a year to the poor of Shepperton in 1573, and this was still being distributed in 1956. The Parish land or Bread Charity arose in 1836, when parish land near Walton Bridge was sold. Before this the land may have been the site of one of the parish almshouses to which occasional references have been found and which are discussed elsewhere.

The proceeds of the sale were used to buy land for a new burial ground on which was charged a rent of £3 to provide bread for the poor. The rent was redeemed in 1950 for £120, which was invested. In 1862 the rector, William Russell, gave two houses in Chertsey Road, now known as the Church House, in trust for the poor; in 1956 £13 income from this was distributed among six people. Jane Boor (will proved 1908) left £500 in trust for payments to the aged poor. H. C. Henderson (will proved 1913) left £100 in trust to buy coal for the poor of Halliford.

In 1910 the incumbent thought that there were too many dole charities and they did more harm than good. A committee was set up in 1913 to administer the charities and since then the income has been expended in gifts of money and goods. In 1956 the combined annual income of all the charities was about £35. The 1862 inclosure set out grounds for garden allotments for the poor, which were managed by the vestry and its successors.