Shepperton is the most southerly parish in the county, lying on the north bank of the Thames opposite Walton and Weybridge on the Surrey bank.

Until 1930 it consisted of 1,492 acres and formed a rough triangle, with the winding river as the base and the east and west sides meeting at the apex about two miles north of the village. In 1930 the parish was incorporated in Sunbury urban district, but 77 acres in the north (nearly all lying in the Queen Mary Reservoir) were transferred to Littleton civil parish, in the same urban district.

The whole parish is between 25 and 50 feet above sea-level and lies upon flood-plain gravels. There is a superficial deposit of brick-earth in the east between Shepperton and Watersplash Farm and there is alluvium near the river. The Thames has changed its course at Shepperton, causing anomalies in the boundaries of the parish and county. At Walton Bridge the boundary follows a minor stream so that the meadow called Cowey on the south bank lies in Shepperton and in Middlesex. Another small bit of the south bank farther west is also in the parish for the same reason.

Both were considered by the parish officers in the 19th century to lie in Surrey, while in 1847 the parish unsuccessfully claimed six acres in Weybridge Mead. On the north bank many of the fields were surrounded by ditches of running water and were described as aits, and there are references to erosion by the river at several times: money was left to the water defences of Shepperton in 1504, the old church seems to have been destroyed or rendered unsafe by encroachment of the river about the end of the 16th century, land near Walton Ferry was said in 1633 to have been washed away, and the loss of 20 acres in Halliford manor between 1650 and 1739 was attributed to erosion.

Elias Ashmole (1617-92) associated the cutting off of Cowey from Middlesex with the destruction of 'a church', presumably that of Shepperton, which he told John Aubrey had been swallowed by the waves. Breaches in the banks at Stadbury (Hamhaugh Island) were repaired in the 18th century by the city of London authorities, who were responsible for this stretch of the river. They also had occasion to remove illegal fish-weirs: there had been a weir at
Shepperton in 1086 and one is mentioned in the 14th century. The stakes found in the river at Cowey and popularly connected with Caesar's crossing of the Thames are very likely to have been the remains of one of the former weirs.

Early Saxon cemeteries on the north of Chertsey Road and near Walton Bridge suggest that a settlement was made here in the 5th or 6th century. There have been three centres of settlement since the Middle Ages. These are Shepperton, otherwise known as Nether or Lower Shepperton; Shepperton Green or Upper Shepperton; and Lower Halliford. Shepperton centres on the church, rectory, and manor-house. In the Middle Ages the church probably stood to the east of the present manorhouse and the manor-house was almost certainly north-east of its present site.

A green stretched from the present Church Square to the site of the old church. The village street may have run past the church towards Lower Halliford; it was perhaps diverted inland to the present line of Church Road and Russell Road because of erosion by the river. The present village probably represents the western end of the medieval settlement. It centres upon the little gravelled Church Square in which, apart from alterations to the Anchor Inn, all the buildings date from before the 19th century, though there is a modern petrol station across Church Road at the open end of the square. The Rectory, standing back from the north side of the square next to the church, is the oldest building here, since it incorporates a timber-framed hall of about 1500. It was remodelled and enlarged about 1700, and the present south front is largely of this date. This is twostoryed with attics and has seven bays with a projecting wing at either end.

At some period the walls were refaced with thin red tiles to simulate brickwork. The south side of the square consists of a row of low 18th-century buildings, including the King's Head Inn. The south end of Church Road also contains several houses of the 18th century and a little farther north is a timber-framed building of the 16th century now divided and known as Ivy Cottages. Behind the church, and hidden from the road, is the manor-house, which was built about 1830. In the Chertsey Road are several houses in their own grounds, some of which date from before the mid-19th century. Manor Farm House is the farthest west of these: it is a red-brick 18th-century house and has a timber-framed and weatherboarded barn of the 17th century.